Coffee Cozee





The other day, roomie and I made tea before heading out to school.  Having just purchased our reusable Starbucks cups we were quite excited to put them to use.  We boiled the water, put the tea bags in and poured the tea into our new cups.  We finished getting ready, grabbed our cups and HOLY SMOKES were they ever hot!  Too hot, in fact, to even hold them without some sort of buffer.  We grabbed our mitts and headed out the door.  Thinking about a way I could make the cups more comfortable and useful, I came up with the idea to make a cozee!  Any excuse to pull out my knitting needles or crochet hook.  So that night I got busy making something that would protect my hands and keep my drink insulated!  Win, win, win!

So here's the (very rough) pattern:
Yarn: size 4 or 5
Needles: honestly not sure... my nana gave them to me and they have no markings on them but I would recommend using whatever size needle your yarn calls for.

Cast on 28 stitches
Knit one row, purl the next.  Repeat twice.
Begin working in the colours using the fair isle method and continuing with the knit one purl one rule.
Continue until all the letters are complete.
Finish off with 4 rows of knit one purl one of the solid colour you started with and bind off.  Voila!

This project was a real learning experience for me.  I'm not exactly thrilled with how it turned out, but hey, it's functional.  If I were to do it again (and I most likely will) I would probably do a number of things differently...  For example, when working the colours into the letters, rather than doing each stitch twice (once as a knit and once as a purl) I would only do each stitch once.   This would probably result in a smaller cozee unless I added more of the plain colour at both the beginning and the end.

So if you make this, let me know what worked for you, what didn't and what you would do differently!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment